35 hours over 3 weekends
ISA Certified Strength and Conditioning Specialist Course (leading to NSCA Certification)
Who is it for?
People Who Take This Course
Aspiring Strength and Conditioning Specialists
Sports Professionals working with Competitive Athletes
- At least a Bachelor Degree in any discipline OR Chiropractic / Medicine degree granted by an accredited institution
- Valid CPR-AED Certification (you may obtain your CPR + AED certification with ISA at a subsidised rate, if you don’t already have one!)
Certified Strength and Conditioning Specialists (CSCSs) are professionals who apply scientific knowledge to train athletes for the primary goal of improving athletic performance. They conduct sport-specific testing sessions, design and implement safe and effective strength training and conditioning programs and provide guidance regarding nutrition and injury prevention. Recognizing that their area of expertise is separate and distinct, CSCSs consult with and refer athletes to other professionals when appropriate.
Upon successful completion of the course, participants will understand:
- Structure and Function of the Muscular, Neuromuscular, Cardiovascular and Respiratory System
- Bioenergetics of Exercise and Training
- Endocrine Responses to Resistance Exercise
- Biomechanics of Resistance Exercise
- Adaptations to Anaerobic and Aerobic Training Programs
- Age and Sex Related Differences and Their Implications for Resistance Exercise
- Psychology of Athletic Preparation and Performance
- Performance Enhancing Substances
- Nutritional Factors in Health and Performance
- Principles of Test Selection and Administration
- Administration, Scoring, and Interpretation of Selected Tests
- Warm-Up, Stretching, Resistance Training and Spotting Techniques
- Plyometric Training, Speed, Agility and Speed-Endurance Development
- Periodization, Rehabilitation and Reconditioning
- Facility Organization, Risk Management, Policy Development
and Procedures Manual
Course Schedule (Refer to Brochure for Specific Schedule)
- 4 days x Theory Lessons, delivered via Zoom
- 2 days x Practical Sessions, delivered at ISA Campus
Assessment (Refer to Brochure for Specific Assessment Details)
NSCA Strength and Conditioning Specialist Certification Examination
- 220 questions in 4 hours (2 parts)
- Course administrator will purchase the examination ticket for all students during the 3rd weekend and from the date it has been successfully purchased, students will have 120 days to book and complete the examination on their own.
Materials to Receive
- NSCA Essentials of Strength and Conditioning (4th Edition) (Soft-copy)
- NSCA CSCS Study Guide (Soft-copy)
- NSCA Examination Ticket (to be purchased for students by ISA)
- 1 year NSCA Membership (to be purchased for students by ISA)
Certificate(s) to Receive
- ISA Certificate of Completion for ISA Certified Strength and Conditioning Course
(Upon completion of the course, participants will receive the above-mentioned certificate.)
- NSCA Certificate for NSCA Certified Strength and Conditioning Specialist
(Upon passing the NSCA Certification Examination, students will be certified as a NSCA Certified Strength and Conditioning Specialist and receive the NSCA Certificate.)
Fundings (Terms & Conditions apply):
- SkillsFuture: up to $2,100.00 for Singaporeans 25 years and above *up to Mar 2022*
- UTAP: 50% of unfunded course fees (before GST) for NTUC members with minimum 75% attendance rate, capped at $250.00/year for members below 40 years old, and $500.00/year for members 40 years and above *up to Mar 2022*
Receive special ISA discounts when you sign up with your friends!
- Register with a friend and receive a discount of $53.50 per person
- Register in a group of 4 or more and receive a discount of $107.00 per person
Continuing Education Credits (if applicable):
- For NROC Coaches: 10 CoachSG CCE Hours awarded upon completion
Continuing Coach Education Training Allowance for Fitness Instructors (applicable for UTAP funded courses endorsed by NICA):
- The National Instructors & Coaches Association (NICA) was formed by the National Trades Union Congress (NTUC) to be the collective voice to support freelance coaches and instructors from sports, outdoor learning and adventure, visual and performing arts, fitness and wellness, and enrichment, to strengthen skills, standards and opportunities.
- In supporting NICA members with skills deepening programmes such as the courses offered by ISA, NICA members enjoy lower course fees through the Union Training Assistance Programme (UTAP) which provides 50% subsidy of the balance unfunded course fee, up to $250 or $500 per calendar year (for NICA/NTUC union members aged 40 and above).
- Click here to find out if you are eligible for the grant.
- If you wish to be part of a bigger voice for coaches and instructors, please sign up to be a NICA member at: www.ntuc.co/SEP (Note: to indicate ‘NICA’ under the field for Company Name)
- Find out more about NICA at: www.nica.org.sg or www.facebook.com/nicasingapore
Continuing Coach Education Training Allowance for NROC Registered Coaches (applicable for courses approved by CoachSG):
- The Continuing Coach Education Training Allowance for coaches is a grant provided to eligible coaches to encourage them to actively engage in continuous learning and be current in their knowledge and skills during this period where their work is impacted by the Covid-19 restrictions.
- Eligible coaches may claim $7.50 for each claimable hour for CoachSG organised CCE workshops/listed courses to a maximum of $300 per person until 31 March 2022.
- Click here to find out if you are eligible for the grant.
In line with the shift to Phase 2 (Heightened Alert) announced by the Multi-Ministry Taskforce on 14 May 2021, there will be a cap in participants per intake. Please note that all intake dates indicated below are subject to any change in the Multi-Ministry Taskforce's and SportSG's advisories.
Click to download brochure
I chose ISA because it is well-established and has been around longer than other sports academies that I know of. The staff were also more responsive when I enquired about the course. I learnt that personal training is not just about executing a workout plan, but also about one's approach to client management.
I've chanced upon the ISA-SLI Sports Coaching for Kids Certification on the ISA website and having prior experience working with children, I was interested to increase my knowledge in fundamental skills such as proper communication, psychological aspects and fundamental movement skills for children that are quintessential in becoming a kids sport coach. The lecturers were knowledgeable, experienced and engaging especially during the practical aspects of the course and I have definitely learned a lot from them. I would strongly recommend anyone who is interested in becoming a kids sports coach to take on this course.
I wanted to widen my knowledge in this field and have a clearer understanding. After attending the course, I was able to confidently guide my clients and the people around me with metabolic diseases to better their training perspective and lifestyle as a whole.