8 hours over 1 day
ISA Certificate in Exercise Prescription for Special Populations (Metabolic and Cardiovascular Disease)
Who is it for?
People Who Take This Course
Certified Personal Trainers
- Some experience in exercising, training and/or coaching
Metabolic syndrome identifies people with an increased risk of developing cardiovascular disease and type 2 diabetes mellitus. The different risk factors for metabolic syndrome includes central obesity, hypertension, hyperglycaemia, dyslipidaemia and obesity. Lifestyle intervention such as incorporating physical activity has been shown to reduce the risk of developing cardiovascular disease in this population. This workshop will prepare participants with the exercise prescription guidelines and recommendations for people with cardiovascular disease. Special considerations during training will also be covered for the respective populations. The exercise guidelines and recommendations taught in this workshop will be presented using the frequency, intensity, time, and type (FITT) principle, which are core components of an exercise prescription.
Upon successful completion of the course, participants will be able to:
- Understand the benefits of physical activity for clients who are with or at risk of metabolic disease and cardiovascular disease
- Describe developmentally appropriate physical activity programs for individuals with metabolic disease and cardiovascular disease risk, and demonstrate an understanding of age-specific needs and concerns
- Understand the various test protocols/procedures and exercise recommendations
- Discuss exercise recommendations and precautions for individuals with metabolic disease and cardiovascular disease risk factors
Course Schedule (Refer to Brochure for Specific Schedule)
- 8 hours of Theory Lessons with Practical Demonstration, delivered via Zoom
Assessment (Refer to Brochure for Specific Assessment Details)
- Theory Assessment
- Conducted 1 week from course commencement on the Saturday, 10am-11am
- Conducted via Online Link provided through e-mail
- 10 MCQs and 10 Short Structured Questions, 50% to pass
- 1-time re-assessment available at $53.50, upon arrangement
Materials to Receive
- ISA Exercise Prescription for Special Populations (Metabolic & Cardiovascular Disease) Course Manual
Certificate(s) to Receive
- ISA Certificate in Exercise Prescription for Special Populations (Metabolic & Cardiovascular Disease)
(Upon completion of the course and passing of assessment, students will be receive the above mentioned certificate.)
Continuing Education Credits (if applicable):
- For NROC Coaches: 5 CoachSG CCE Hours awarded upon completion
- For ACE Certified Personnels: 0.6 ACE CECs awarded upon completion
Fundings (Terms & Conditions apply):
- SkillsFuture: up to $120.00 for Singaporeans 25 years and above *up to Mar 2022*
- UTAP: 50% of unfunded course fees (before GST) for NTUC members with minimum 75% attendance rate, capped at $250.00/year for members below 40 years old, and $500.00/year for members 40 years and above *up to Mar 2022*
Receive special ISA discounts when you sign up with your friends!
- Register with a friend and receive a discount of $21.40 per person
This course has provided me with insights on safety precautions for my patients. A good percentage of them are actually pre-hypertensive or may have some semblance of cardiovascular disease. With these knowledge, it allows me to track their progress via strength training!
I wanted to widen my knowledge in this field and have a clearer understanding. After attending the course, I was able to confidently guide my clients and the people around me with metabolic diseases to better their training perspective and lifestyle as a whole.