40 hours over 3 weekends
ISA – WAKO Singapore Kickboxing Coach Level 1 Certification Course
Who is it for?
People Who Take This Course
Apsiring Kickboxing Coaches
- At least 1 year’s experience of striking martial arts or striking defence arts only in the following forms: (a) Kickboxing, (b) Muay Thai, (c) Sanda and/or (d) MMA
- The applicant must be a member of Kickboxing Federation of Singapore through a club. No individual members are allowed.
- Minimum 6 months’ worth of current pad-holding skills and currently practicing for 6 months (using thai pads only)
- Submission of a 5 minutes audition video (showcasing skills) upon registration of the course. Note that entry to course is subject to approval of video.Audition Video to include the following items:
(a) 1 minute – Self-Introduction (Name, Age, Background with Martial Arts/Kickboxing)
(b) 1 minute – Shadow Kickboxing Skills
(c) 1 minute – Handling of Thai Pads
(d) 1 minute – Execution of Punches/Kicks and on Thai Pads
(e) 1 minute – Execution of Kickboxing Combinations on Thai Pads
Kickboxing refers to the sport of using martial-arts-style kicks and boxing-style punches to defeat an opponent in a similar way to that of standard boxing. It is an official sport recognised by the Olympic Council of Asia (OCA). It is a full-contact sport. Kickboxing competition athletes are required to wear important protective gear such as; mouth-guard, hand-wraps, 10-oz boxing gloves, groin-guard, shin-pads, kick-boots (if applicable), and headgear. Kickboxing is often confused with Muay Thai, also known as Thai Boxing. The two sports are similar, however, in Thai Boxing, kicks below the belt are allowed, as are strikes with knees and elbows whereas they are forbidden in kickboxing. Kickboxing was incorporated into the Asian Martial Arts Games in 2009.
Get certified and recognised as a Sports Coach in Kickboxing. Learn fundamental coaching principles and technical skills to groom kickboxing athletes and coaches, on various competitive levels. Learn vital sports coaching doctrine integral to build, chart and grow a kickboxing athlete’s development, performance and career pathway. The basic combative kickboxing techniques may also be scaled down and used for fitness training purposes. This course is governed and accredited by WAKO Singapore, in which is the sole national representative (in Singapore) for the World Association of Kickboxing Organisations (WAKO) – the sole governing body for kickboxing in the world.
Upon successful completion of the course, participants will understand:
- Understand basic human anatomy and how the human body responds and adapts to exercise
- Develop a strong foundation on key psychology principles relating to sports and performance
- Describe the role of various dietary nutrients in supporting sports performance and health during training and competition
- Develop a coaching philosophy and understand ethical, social and cultural issues in sports
- Develop key communication skills to maximise performance
- Understand different learning theories and coaching methodologies
- Design assessments, training programs and plans
- Have knowledge of risk assessment, discuss relevant injuries and recommend exercise programming
- Teach the sport of Kickboxing safely and effectively with proper techniques
- To groom Kickboxing athletes and coaches for competition
Course Schedule (Refer to Brochure for Specific Schedule)
- 1st & 2nd weekend of Theory, delivered via Zoom
- 3rd Weekend of Practical, delivered at WAKO Singapore Kickboxing Studio
Assessment (Refer to Brochure for Specific Assessment Details)
- Theory Assessment, held on 2nd weekend of course
- Practical Assessment, held on 3rd weekend of course
- Video Assignment, held after the course
- Mandatory Training, held after the course
Materials to Receive
- ISA- WAKO Singapore Kickboxing Level 1 Course Manual
Certificate(s) to Receive
- ISA – WAKO Singapore Certificate for Kickboxing Level 1 Coach
(Upon passing the assessments and mandatory training, students will be receive the above mentioned certificate.)
Fundings (Terms & Conditions apply):
Receive special ISA discounts when you sign up with your friends!
- Register with a friend and receive a discount of $53.50 per person
- Register in a group of 4 or more and receive a discount of $107.00 per person
Continuing Education Credits (if applicable):
- For NROC Coaches: 10 CoachSG CCE Hours awarded upon completion
Continuing Coach Education Training Allowance for NROC Registered Coaches (applicable for courses approved by CoachSG):
- The Continuing Coach Education Training Allowance for coaches is a grant provided to eligible coaches to encourage them to actively engage in continuous learning and be current in their knowledge and skills during this period where their work is impacted by the Covid-19 restrictions.
- Eligible coaches may claim $7.50 for each claimable hour for CoachSG organised CCE workshops/listed courses to a maximum of $300 per person until 31 March 2022.
- Click here to find out if you are eligible for the grant.
I chose ISA because it is well-established and has been around longer than other sports academies that I know of. The staff were also more responsive when I enquired about the course. I learnt that personal training is not just about executing a workout plan, but also about one's approach to client management.
I've chanced upon the ISA-SLI Sports Coaching for Kids Certification on the ISA website and having prior experience working with children, I was interested to increase my knowledge in fundamental skills such as proper communication, psychological aspects and fundamental movement skills for children that are quintessential in becoming a kids sport coach. The lecturers were knowledgeable, experienced and engaging especially during the practical aspects of the course and I have definitely learned a lot from them. I would strongly recommend anyone who is interested in becoming a kids sports coach to take on this course.
I wanted to widen my knowledge in this field and have a clearer understanding. After attending the course, I was able to confidently guide my clients and the people around me with metabolic diseases to better their training perspective and lifestyle as a whole.